Sunday, November 14, 2010

Coming to a Close

The semester is coming to a close and we are taking our last exams before finals. I'm very excited for the busy J-1 semester to come to an end and move on up! Anyway, clinicals have been wonderful! Last week I got to work the ER for 16 hours and it was tons of fun. I got to practice some of my advanced skills like IV insertion, fluid bag set up, urinary catheters and dressing changes. It was really exciting and busy most of the time. We had a point where three traumas came in at once for C-spine (neck) injuries from a car rolling accident and that kept us busy for a while. I would say ER is much faster paced, and there was a lot less charting for the students to do which was a nice break! I can't decide between the ICU and ER though since I enjoyed both of them so much. I think the more experience I get, the easier it will be to make a decision.
This week we are amping up for a pharmacology exam and getting ready for the next scenario right after thanksgiving. I plan to go home and practice my skills on my family, lucky them! I'll be back soon for an update, good night!

7 comments:

  1. Great to see that you are having an experience that challenges, and intrigues you. The EXPERIENCE keeps on giving as minutes, hours, days, and weeks pass. The fact that you enjoy what you are doing makes it a totally different experience. The knowledge will be seated deeply in your mind as you go through the various methods of learning. They are all important, but vastly different in the way in which we can recall the information. Keep up the good work, we will keep a plate on the table for you! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Dad! I'm excited to come home for thanksgiving and see you guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are having a blast!!! Me too, just living it through you. I am soooooo proud of you. The excitement that I see in you is enough to say it all. I know that it is very hard work, but you have what it takes to get it done. You seem to thrive under the pressure and kick into high gear when the adrenaline gets going. I just want to climb to a tall mountain and let everyone know how well you are doing and how proud dad and I are of you!!!!!!!!!!!
    I love you more than you know, Chicken
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Travel safe, enjoy a few days away, come visit with family and friends. Happy Thanksgiving Holiday. We all have much to reflect on and to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very proud of you Christa. You are going to make a great nurse :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to spend some time with you and Reid. Time certainly flies when you are having fun. Thank you for a wonderful Thanksgiving visit. Best to you in your studies and exams. Believe me you will do really well. You already know the information, some refreshing of the material is always important to brush back up. Carry on. Love you, Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good afternoon. Looks like not too much happening in Blogland today! Keep looking for up-dates. Study hard finals are around the corner.
    Love Dad :)

    ReplyDelete