Friday, November 5, 2010

One month left!

We have one month of classes left in our J-1 semester! whohoo! We are almost there...thank goodness!
We have a scenario test coming up the week after Thanksgiving, in which we are given a case (patient) and need to figure out what the problem is and what to do with our patient in regards to meds, procedures, labs, etc.. These tests are the most nerve racking because if we fail twice we get kicked out, so fingers are crossed. Other than that the other exams are going really well, still getting my B to B+ average, going to try to bring that up!
Clinicals are going well, last week at Gritman the census was soooo low that I didn't have a patient, so I got moved over to ICU again, which was hoppin! The nurse let me hook myself up to an EKG (heart monitor) and analyze my heart rhythm, and measure my PR, QT, and QRS waves to check for heart pathology! It was cool, I will post a picture of it. Turns out my heart is pretty healthy. Anyway, next week I have two full day in ER. I am really excited for this because usually in ER there are many IV starts, injections, closed reductions, traumas, and of course drunk college kids from UI to deal with. Not to mention all the people who come in for the sniffles. Either way I'm hoping its fun, and I hate to say it but I hope I can stand in on a code... :) (crashing patient). I'm just eager to learn. I'll be back soon for an ER update. Peace to you!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear all is going well for you. Congratulations on nearing the end of this period. Keep the focus, keep the energy, we are certainly proud of you and your accomplishments.
    Batter-up!

    ReplyDelete